Connect with us

Latest

Oyo School Abduction: Police Launch Forensic Probe Into Viral Video

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command has said it is currently investigating a viral video reportedly connected to the abduction of pupils, students, and staff members that took place on Friday in Oriire Local Government Area.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The video, which has spread widely across social media, is believed to be linked to attacks on schools in the Yawota and Esiele communities.

In a statement released on Sunday, the Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, confirmed that the footage has been received and is undergoing forensic analysis.

According to him, “Consequently, the footage is presently undergoing comprehensive forensic examination to determine its authenticity and further aid ongoing investigations, rescue operations, as well as the identification and arrest of the perpetrators behind the heinous act.”

He added that the analysis of the video is part of broader efforts to track down the attackers and secure the release of the kidnapped victims.

The incident occurred when armed men invaded schools in Oriire LGA on Friday, targeting Baptist Nursery and Primary School in Yawota and the Community Grammar School/L.A. Primary School in Esiele.

Preliminary police findings indicate that the attackers arrived on motorcycles and carried out coordinated assaults on the schools, abducting pupils, students, and staff, including the Vice Principal, Alamu Folawe.

The assailants were also reported to have stolen a Toyota Corolla belonging to the vice principal and later set it on fire along a road leading into the forest.

The police earlier clarified that no student or pupil had been confirmed dead at the time of their initial report. However, an assistant headmaster identified as Adesiyan and a commercial motorcyclist were said to have been killed during the attack.

Ayanlade stated that security agencies are working together to ensure the safe return of all abducted persons.

He said, “Following the commencement of these investigative procedures, the command reassures residents of its unwavering commitment towards ensuring the safe return and reunification of all abducted persons with their families.”

He further explained that intensive intelligence-driven and tactical operations are ongoing in collaboration with other security agencies to rescue the victims and arrest those responsible.

Police tactical teams, intelligence units, and other operational resources have been deployed to the affected communities to prevent further insecurity and support rescue efforts.

Earlier, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, led senior officers and other security commanders on an on-the-spot assessment visit to coordinate operations.

Meanwhile, the Oyo State Government has also stepped in to reassure residents.

Deputy Governor Adebayo Lawal visited Yawota and Esiele on Sunday, meeting with families of victims and promising that security agencies are actively working to secure their release.

He said government responded quickly to the incident and confirmed that security forces had engaged the suspected kidnappers in nearby forest areas.

“We have pacified the residents and given assurances that those abducted will be rescued and brought back,” he said after visiting victims receiving treatment at LAUTECH Teaching Hospital and Bowen University Teaching Hospital in Ogbomoso.

Lawal added that the exact number of abducted persons has not yet been confirmed.

“Until we do proper verification, we cannot put a figure to those abducted. For now, figures circulating in the media cannot be taken as correct,” he said.

He noted that multiple security agencies, including the police, DSS, NSCDC, military representatives, and local hunters, are still conducting search and rescue operations in the forest.

Residents have also been urged to remain calm and avoid spreading unverified information.

Ayanlade warned that false or misleading reports could heighten tension and be exploited by criminal elements.

He encouraged anyone with useful information to report it to the nearest security agency to support ongoing investigations and rescue efforts.

The police command reaffirmed its commitment to rescuing the victims safely and bringing all perpetrators to justice, while assuring that efforts are ongoing to restore peace in the affected communities.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *