Latest
Tinubu Has Done Well, What More Do I Want?” — Adeleke Drops Suit Against EFCC
Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has withdrawn the lawsuit he filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s bank account ahead of the recently concluded governorship election.
Adeleke had previously challenged the EFCC’s decision to obtain an order restricting access to the state government’s account, describing the action as politically motivated and capable of disrupting the administration’s operations.
However, President Bola Tinubu later directed the anti-graft agency to lift the restriction and discontinue the related legal proceedings following concerns surrounding the timing of the action.
Hours after being declared the winner of the governorship election, Adeleke disclosed during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics that he had instructed the state Attorney General to withdraw the case against the EFCC.
The governor said Tinubu had intervened in the matter, prompting him to put the disagreement and legal battle behind him.
He said, “I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?”
Addressing reports that some of his aides and supporters had been invited by the EFCC for questioning, Adeleke said he had instructed his legal team to provide them with the necessary support.
The governor also defended Tinubu, arguing that the President was not necessarily aware of every action taken by federal government agencies.
He said, **“Well, we have been talking. I have been calling all my lawyers to go there. I’m sure the APC in Osun, according to them, they are telling us they are using federal might.
“Most of these things, the President doesn’t know. The President has a lot of foreign work and jobs to do.”**
According to Adeleke, some of his aides were questioned by the EFCC but were subsequently released after no wrongdoing was established.
He described the invitations as a distraction and alleged that former Osun State Governor Gboyega Oyetola was behind the development, which he linked to Oyetola’s relationship with President Tinubu.
Adeleke said he had encouraged his officials to cooperate with the EFCC because they had nothing to hide.
He questioned the rationale behind inviting his spokesperson for questioning, asking whether the official was a finance minister or an accountant.
The governor further alleged that Oyetola had been invoking the President’s name in connection with the EFCC actions, while maintaining that Tinubu was unaware of the matter until he intervened.
He said, “All these things are Oyetola because he is the cousin to the President. He is dropping the President’s name. I know that the President didn’t know about the EFCC one. That is why he had to call me and stop it.”
