Politics
Crisis Erupts In SDP As Police Summon NWC Members Over Alleged Secretariat Invasion
The leadership crisis within the Social Democratic Party has taken a new twist as police reportedly invited members of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) over an alleged attempt to take over its national secretariat in Abuja.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶
Speaking with Sunday Punch on Saturday, SDP National Chairman Sadiq Gombe confirmed the development, stating that although he had not personally received any official invitation, he was informed that all NWC members had been summoned.
According to Gombe, the invitation is connected to the party’s ongoing internal crisis and the failed bid to seize control of the party headquarters.
“I was informed that the SDP leadership had been invited by the police after the unsuccessful attempt to take over our national secretariat. While I did not personally receive an invitation, I understand that all NWC members were affected. We are fully prepared to cooperate,” he said.
Gombe explained that the party had earlier petitioned the Inspector-General of Police over allegations involving the expelled national chairman.
He alleged that the petition centered on claims of fraud and financial misconduct amounting to ₦626 million. According to him, the matter was referred to a former Deputy Inspector-General of Police, DIG Sadiq, for investigation.
He added that despite following up on the case for three months, no prosecution or investigation was carried out against Shehu Gabam, prompting the party to submit another reminder to the Inspector-General requesting further action.
The SDP chairman also expressed disappointment that petitions submitted to security agencies over the alleged financial irregularities had produced no outcome. He said the matter had equally been reported to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, and the Department of State Services without any visible progress.
Questioning the latest police invitation, Gombe maintained that the allegations had long been before the relevant authorities.
He further disclosed that those facing disciplinary action were given opportunities to defend themselves before a disciplinary committee chaired by Sadiq Lima, but allegedly declined to appear.
According to Gombe, the committee sat for 14 days at the party’s national headquarters before a white paper committee reviewed its findings and recommended the expulsion of the affected officials.
He accused Gabam and the party’s national youth leader of refusing to honour the committee’s invitation despite being offered what he described as a fair hearing.
Gombe also dismissed suggestions that external bodies such as the Independent National Electoral Commission could determine the authentic leadership of the party, insisting that leadership matters remain strictly internal affairs.
Citing previous Supreme Court rulings, he argued that political parties have the exclusive right to decide their leaders without interference from INEC.
The latest development marks another escalation in the SDP leadership dispute following rival claims over the party’s legitimate national leadership.
Just two weeks earlier, Gabam — whose removal remains controversial — was accused of storming the party’s Abuja secretariat alongside armed policemen in an attempt to regain control of the party structure.
The crisis reportedly intensified in October 2025 after Gabam, Uchechukwu, and the party’s National Auditor, Clarkson Nnadi, were expelled over allegations of misconduct and financial impropriety.
