Latest
EFCC Reopens Osun Government Accounts, Declares: ‘They Can’t Ignore Presidential Order
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction placed on the Osun State Government’s bank accounts following a directive from President Bola Tinubu.
The affected accounts, domiciled with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, were frozen earlier in August as part of an investigation into alleged financial mismanagement involving state funds.
Checks by Saturday Punch indicated that the accounts have now returned to normal operations.
The EFCC had issued a Post No Debit instruction on the accounts on August 5 as part of an investigation that reportedly commenced in March 2026.
The commission said the probe centred on the alleged management of about ₦11 billion comprising Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations received through the Federation Account Allocation Committee.
The matter subsequently attracted President Tinubu’s attention, leading him to direct the EFCC to lift the restriction and restore access to the state’s accounts.
The President had reportedly described the EFCC’s action as embarrassing and ordered that the accounts be reopened.
Following his victory in the election, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke also directed the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the legal case instituted against the EFCC over the account restriction.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed.
Ajayi said the EFCC immediately complied with the President’s directive and restored access to the accounts.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” he said.
He added that the absence of further public complaints from the Osun State Government indicated that the accounts had indeed been reopened.
