Connect with us

Latest

Fresh Twist In El-Rufai Case As Prosecutors Reveal Reason Behind DSS Transfer

Published

on

The prosecution in the ongoing trial of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Tuesday explained to the Federal High Court in Abuja why the defendant was transferred from the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HEREā–¶

El-Rufai is facing a five-count charge over allegations that he admitted during a television interview to intercepting phone conversations involving the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Lead prosecuting counsel, Oluwole Aladedoye, told the court that the transfer became necessary following what he described as disruptive actions by some members of El-Rufai’s family.

According to Aladedoye, one of El-Rufai’s wives allegedly arrived at the ICPC facility on May 15 with cameramen and livestreamed allegations that the former governor was being denied food and access to family members.

The prosecution also accused politician Timi Frank of circulating claims suggesting El-Rufai’s safety could be at risk while in custody.

Aladedoye said the situation prompted security agencies to move the former governor to DSS custody in order to prevent further controversy and tension.

He further alleged that El-Rufai’s family attempted to use the media to portray the case as politically motivated and also criticised the bail conditions imposed on him.

Responding to the claims, defence counsel, E. E. Ekere, denied knowledge of the allegations and argued that El-Rufai should not be blamed for comments made outside the courtroom.

Presiding judge, Joyce Abdulmalik, stated that she does not pay attention to social media narratives and advised all parties to keep online issues separate from court proceedings.

During the hearing, the court admitted a flash drive containing a 43-minute interview El-Rufai granted to Arise Television as evidence.

A prosecution witness identified as APC told the court that investigators interviewed the National Security Adviser, who reportedly confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai had actually taken place.

The witness also claimed that the ICPC chairman acknowledged discussing the matter with the NSA after sections of the interview were played to him.

Under cross-examination, however, the witness admitted that investigators neither examined communication devices nor obtained IP addresses or carried out forensic analysis related to the alleged interception.

Despite this, the witness maintained that El-Rufai repeatedly stood by his claim that the conversation had been intercepted and sent to him.

Justice Abdulmalik later adjourned the case until June 22 and 23 for further hearing

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *