Connect with us

Latest

Breaking: Labour Party Petitions IGP, DSS Over ‘Illegal’ Nomination Forms Sold By Abure

Published

on

The Labour Party (LP) has formally petitioned its former National Chairman, Julius Abure, to the Inspector-General of Police and the Department of State Services (DSS) over the alleged illegal sale of nomination forms.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The party’s factional National Chairman, Senator Nenadi Usman, disclosed this on Thursday while addressing journalists in Abuja, adding that copies of the petition were also sent to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Usman accused Abure of operating outside the party’s recognised leadership structure, insisting that his continued issuance of nomination forms amounts to impersonation and a deliberate attempt to mislead unsuspecting aspirants.

She maintained that Abure’s tenure had expired, noting that a national convention held in Umuahia produced the current leadership now recognised by INEC.

According to her, some aspirants have already been deceived into purchasing unauthorised forms linked to Abure’s faction.

“We received the news with surprise. It was unexpected because after the court confirmed that his tenure had ended, we held a national convention in Umuahia and elected new leaders,” she said.

“One man came to me saying his wife was contesting, and when I checked the form, it was not the one we issued. They are deceiving people, and that is not right.”

On the ongoing leadership dispute, Usman said the party had not been officially served with any appeal allegedly filed by Abure at the Supreme Court, expressing confidence that the apex court would uphold earlier judgments.

She stated, “My belief is that the Supreme Court will maintain its position. If a court says my tenure is over, I cannot go back to claim otherwise.”

Speaking on preparations for the 2027 elections, Usman said three presidential aspirants had already obtained nomination forms and confirmed that the party had zoned its presidential ticket to the South.

She added that while the party may consider a consensus arrangement ahead of the primaries, all aspirants would undergo strict screening to ensure competence and credibility.

“We have agreed that our presidential candidate should come from the South. Anyone from the North interested in buying forms should not bother,” she said.

“We are open to consensus, but we will conduct proper screening because Nigeria deserves the very best leadership.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *