Connect with us

Latest

Breaking: Peoples Democratic Party Exempts Goodluck Jonathan From Presidential Screening Rules

Published

on

A faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) led by Kabiru Turaki has approved a waiver of screening requirements for former President Goodluck Jonathan ahead of the party’s presidential primary.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The development was disclosed on Tuesday in Abuja by former Niger State Governor and PDP screening committee member, Babangida Aliyu.

Aliyu, who spoke on behalf of the former Vice President and chairman of the screening panel, Namadi Sambo, said Jonathan would not be required to undergo screening due to his political experience and previous leadership positions.

According to him, Jonathan’s political journey—from deputy governor to governor, vice president, and eventually president—made additional screening unnecessary.

He said, “As you know, the party had already given the presidential aspirant a waiver. He was deputy governor, governor, vice-president, and later president, so we didn’t see anything that needed screening.”

Aliyu added that the PDP had effectively cleared Jonathan as a candidate for the presidential race, describing the waiver as formal approval for his participation in the contest.

The committee also reportedly extended a similar waiver to former PDP National Working Committee (NWC) member, Taofeek Arapaja, to enable him contest the Oyo governorship election.

He explained that the screening committee had already assessed governorship aspirants from several states, including Taraba, Adamawa, Kano, Akwa Ibom, and Delta, and would continue its work within the scheduled timeframe.

Aliyu expressed optimism about the party’s internal stability, stating that efforts to weaken the PDP had not succeeded and that the party remained prepared for the upcoming elections.

Meanwhile, PDP chieftain Umar Sani claimed that Jonathan had already purchased a presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Sani, a former Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to ex-Vice President Namadi Sambo, made the assertion during a television appearance on Trust TV.

He said Jonathan’s recent political engagements and consultations suggested a possible return to the presidential race, nearly 12 years after leaving office.

Although Jonathan has not publicly declared his intention or confirmed a party platform, Sani argued that political actions often speak louder than statements.

He added that acquiring a nomination form is usually one of the first steps for any serious aspirant.

“In politics, what is important is action. If you are interested, there are processes you have to follow, one of which is the procurement of nomination forms. He has done that,” he said.

When asked to confirm whether Jonathan had indeed obtained the form, Sani responded, “Yes, and in fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *