Connect with us

Latest

Fresh Twist In El-Rufai Trial As Witness Confirms Alleged NSA Call Interception

Published

on

The trial of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over allegations bordering on treason and breach of national security continued on Monday at the Federal High Court in Abuja.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

During the resumed proceedings, the prosecution presented evidence aimed at supporting its allegation that El-Rufai received an intercepted private conversation involving the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

As part of the prosecution’s case, a 43-minute television interview featuring El-Rufai was played in court. In the interview, the former governor allegedly stated that an individual intercepted a conversation involving the NSA and later forwarded it to him.

According to the prosecution, El-Rufai also defended the alleged interception during the broadcast, arguing that governments often monitor communications.

A prosecution witness informed the court that investigators launched efforts to verify the interview after it aired.

The witness stated that the National Security Adviser was interviewed during the investigation and reportedly confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai had indeed taken place.

According to the witness, the discussion involved the NSA and the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

The witness further claimed that the ICPC chairman also acknowledged having the discussion with Ribadu after sections of the interview were replayed to him.

The court also heard that television presenter Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju, and cameraman Ugochukwu Agalayana were questioned during the investigation.

According to the witness, Aniagolu confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and passed it to him.

The witness added that the broadcaster also stated that El-Rufai defended surveillance activities during the programme, maintaining that governments routinely engage in such practices.

Statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju were tendered in court and admitted as Exhibits C, C1, and E without objection from the defence team.

Another statement from cameraman Agalayana was also admitted as Exhibit D after he confirmed setting up the recording equipment used for the interview. However, he told the court that he did not pay attention to the actual discussion during the broadcast.

The prosecution witness further stated that investigators concluded El-Rufai made what they described as an “open confession” regarding the interception of the NSA’s conversation.

According to the witness, the investigation team considered the alleged act capable of threatening national security and subsequently recommended prosecution.

A preliminary investigation report submitted by the prosecution was admitted as Exhibit F.

During cross-examination, El-Rufai’s lawyer, Paul Erokoro, challenged the depth of the investigation carried out by the prosecution.

The witness admitted that investigators neither examined communication devices belonging to the NSA nor obtained IP addresses or conducted forensic analysis linked to the alleged interception.

However, he maintained that such steps were considered unnecessary after the NSA reportedly confirmed the authenticity of the conversation.

Under further questioning, the witness acknowledged that El-Rufai never directly claimed during the interview that he personally intercepted the conversation.

Despite this, the witness insisted that the former governor repeatedly maintained that the conversation had been tapped and forwarded to him.

When asked whether El-Rufai could have been exaggerating during a politically charged interview, the witness responded that he regarded the former governor as “a person of integrity” and believed he meant what he said.

Following the completion of the cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned the case until June 22 and 23 for further hearing.

The adjournment is expected to allow the prosecution to present additional witnesses as proceedings continue in the case against the former governor.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *