Latest
Fresh Controversy Erupts Over Alleged DSS Move Against El-Rufai After Bail
The family of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has alleged that operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) attempted to take him into custody shortly after court proceedings at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶
According to the family, the move was contrary to existing court orders directing that the former governor remain in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
Speaking to journalists outside the DSS facility in Abuja, El-Rufai’s second wife, Hasiat El-Rufai, accused security agencies of intimidating the family through alleged surveillance, threats, and psychological pressure.
She claimed the family has been living in fear since the former governor’s detention.
“We now live in constant fear. Every day we get a threat — DSS is coming to raid your house, ICPC is coming to raid your house, police are coming to raid your house,” she said.
“You are being followed. Our phones are tapped.”
Hasiat explained that El-Rufai appeared before Justice Joyce AbdulMalik earlier on Monday, where he was granted bail before the matter was adjourned until 1 p.m.
She alleged that during the break in proceedings, security operatives attempted to transfer him to DSS custody despite two existing court orders from Kaduna directing that he remain with the ICPC.
According to her, the former governor resisted the move.
“He said to them, ‘I am not going to step down because there are two court orders that the Kaduna court gave that I should be remanded in ICPC. Why are you bringing me here?’” she recounted.
“He said, ‘I am not a furniture to be moved.’”
She stated that El-Rufai was eventually returned to ICPC custody after the disagreement.
However, after the afternoon session in court, Hasiat alleged that another attempt was made to move him to DSS custody.
At the time she addressed journalists, she claimed the former governor had refused to leave the vehicle conveying him to the DSS facility.
“He told them that if you want to take me inside DSS custody, you will have to physically force me into doing this,” she said.
Hasiat also accused authorities of denying El-Rufai access to his personal doctors despite an earlier Kaduna High Court order granting him unrestricted access to legal counsel and medical care.
She alleged that even after the ICPC’s in-house doctor reportedly recommended further medical evaluation, access was still denied.
“When you see a doctor and you run tests, you are expected to see the doctor back so that he explains what the problem is,” she stated.
“He was denied access to the doctor.”
Also speaking, El-Rufai’s son and House of Representatives member, Bello El-Rufai, described the case against his father as politically motivated.
He criticised the bail conditions imposed by the court, arguing that they were excessively strict and difficult to meet.
“Who keeps a person for 91 days? Why were the terms of the bail so stringent that it is practically impossible for anybody to meet?” he queried.
Bello further accused the ICPC of issuing misleading public statements and disclosed plans to petition the House of Representatives over the handling of the matter.
